4-H Fair & Expo
All 4-H'ers in New London County are welcome at the Fair! It doesn't matter if you are in a community-based club, an afterschool program, or a science program. Our Fair is for our 4-H'ers, run by our 4-H'ers!
2023 Dates to be announced in February
Fair Board/Association meetings are held on the first Tuesday of the Month, October-July, at 7:00pm at the New London County Extension Center. All NLC 4-H'ers may join the Fair Board. We urge you to attend and be a part of the planning and organizing of the 4-H Fair.
October 4, 2022
All 4-H'ers are encouraged to join in the Public Speaking contests. They can present a speech, a power point, a demonstration, or an illustrated talk (using poster or photos) and are divided into Junior and Senior presenters. The guidelines for the speeches, presentations, and local contests are in the NLC 4-H Public Presentation Information Flyer below. Topics are entirely of the presenters choosing. Everyone receives a participation ribbon.
The first level of competition is a 'local contest.' Clubs take turns hosting the local contests, which are loosely based on county geography. There are usually 5-6 of these competitions, which are open to all 4-H'ers. Those with a score of 90-100 at the local level receive a purple ribbon and advance to the county level, which is the last Friday in February, all other participants at the local contest receive a green ribbon. The blue ribbon winners of the county competition go on to the next level statewide CT 4-H contest in mid-March (this contest is virtual). The top four scorers in each category will then compete for the UConn 4-H state title (in person) on Saturday, March 25.
4-H Explorers may participate at the local contest, they do not compete at the county level.
- NLC 4-H Public Speaking info flyer 2023
- New London County Public Speaking Registration
- New London County Explorers Commentary Card
- letter to local coordinator
- Local Coordinator report
- Speech Evaluation: Senior Junior Novice
- Visual Evaluation: Senior Junior Novice
- Team Evaluation: Senior
- Tip Sheets- UConn Public Speaking 101
- Effectively Using Electronic Media
- Presenting In Cyberspace
- Tips for a Winning Presentation!
- Presentation Building Blocks
The Food Show is open to all clubs in New London County! If you are an independent member or only one or two of your club who wants to participate, contact the 4-H Office to be connected with a participating club.
Each year has a different theme, and clubs choose how to interpret the theme. The club plans a meal and each 4-H'er makes a dish to bring. Clubs should set and decorate their table according to their theme. You can even dress up!
Each club is judged and then the judges decide the top 3 winners of the Coveted 4-H Spatula Award. There is also the 4-H'ers Choice Award- each 4-H'ers places a vote for the club display/meal they liked the best. All participants receive a Food Show ribbon.
Poster Contest theme varies by year. Anyone may submit a poster, and they are judged at the same time as food judging.
OH! And did we say after judging EVERYONE EATS ALL THE FOOD!
- NLC Food Show Info Flyer
- NLC Food Show Registration
- 4-H Food Show Score Sheet
- 4-H Food Show Evaluations Guidelines
- NLC 4-H Menu Planner Worksheet
- UConn 4-H Explorers Snack Planner
- Poster Evaluation
Annual Recognition Night
This event is usually held in November. It is a celebration of the accomplishments by all of the 4-H'ers, volunteers, and leaders in our county. In addition to shout-outs to winners from the Food Show, Public Speaking, Fair, and National Trip awards, we recognize leaders for significant service milestones (every five years). Fair Premium checks are handed out and we install the incoming NLC 4-H Fair Officers.
Submissions for the County Recognition awards are reviewed in October and publicly awarded at Recognition Night.
- New London County 4-H Recognition Form (Youth Submits) Awardees receive a Project Pin and gift card to Tractor Supply Company Store or Walmart
- Nomination Form for NLC 4-H Volunteer (Anyone can nominate) Awardees receive a Volunteer Leadership pin and Dunkin Donuts gift card
- Nomination Form for Youth Project Award (Leader Submits) Awardees receive a Project Pin
End of the Year
As the end of the year wraps up, we need some help from the club leaders. Please see the form below.
We have the following educational activities available:
- Rabbit hopping tutorial
- Clipping your goat
- Blowing and washing your beef project
- Dog project info
- Drenching your goat
View all of our educational activities.
4-H Friday Flash
Quick Links to Common Forms
- UConn 4-H Yearly Record
- UConn 4-H Animal Project Record
- UConn 4-H Non-Animal Record
- Large Animal Verification Form
- Small Animal Verification Form
- Lease Agreement
- RI Guidelines for Dual State Enrollments
- UConn 4-H Teen Recognition Form (for National Trips and Teen Council)
All UConn 4-H Record Book Materials can be found HERE
All General 4-H Forms, Verification Forms, and other animal-related forms can be found HERE